Before You Hit SEND!
Print this handy checklist of some key elements that should be in your email newsletter or promotion:
Your “From” and “Subject” Lines:
- Does your “From” line include your company name or brand?
Does your “Subject” line:
- meet the length guidelines (5-8 words, 40 characters including spaces)?
- incorporate a specific benefit?
- include your brand (if for some reason your “From” line does not)?
- create a sense of urgency?
- avoid words or punctuation — such as “Free” or exclamation points — that could trigger spam filters?
Your Email Copy:
- Will your content be interesting and meaningful to the people you’re sending it to?
- Is your email personalized with the recipient’s first name, last name, or both, if appropriate?
- Is your email copy clear and concise?
- Will your contacts know what to do once they’ve read your email? Should they call to request your free offer? Print out a coupon? Provide comments and feedback on an article?
- Does your email clearly explain how your product or service can help [benefit] the recipient? Save them money? Time? Aggravation?
- Have you used appropriate graphics while also making good use of white space?
Important Last-Second Checks:
- Are you prepared to handle inbound email responses and questions resulting from your outbound email campaigns? Follow-through is as important as the first contact.
- Have you proofread the “From” line, “Subject” line, and email copy thoroughly?
- Have you checked all links to be sure they work properly?
- Have you previewed and sent yourself a test in both HTML and text formats?
- IS IT MOBILE FRIENDLY?
When you can answer “yes” to these questions, you are ready to hit the “Send” button.
Haven’t tried Constant Contact yet? Really?
Start staying in touch with your customers!