In my small business, I run across a lot of SMB boomers who simply aren’t, shall we say kindly, “tech-savvy”?
As a mostly tech-savvy boomer myself, I want to sometimes scream:
“What the heck is wrong with you, Wo/Man! We boomers spent our entire childhoods fantasizing about living like The Jetsons! And now you say you don’t care about learning how to master even the mildest forms of our incredibly cool modern technology?”
I don’t get it, I don’t get it, I don’t get it!
No, our childhoods weren’t the “Good Old Days.” The only good old days we had were the ones where we were out of school and no homework and we didn’t have to come home until dinner time.
So, fast forward to owning a small business, and no, small businesses were NOT easy to run in those “Good Old Days.”
Do you REALLY miss those so-called “good old days” when you consider the technology of today?
- POS Reports vs “Beat Yesterday” Ledger
- POS Computer Software vs Cash Registers and handwritten special orders
- Email vs Snail Mail for communicating with customers, vendors, sales reps, etc.
- Google, Yahoo, Bing, Local Listings Search vs. the Yellow Pages Phonebook
- Mobile/SmartPhones vs having to be at your office to receive/make a business call
- Online inventory access vs numerous phone calls for inventory checks
- Word, spell check, cut/copy and paste, etc. vs. Typewriters (any kind) and correct tape or Wite Out.
- Printers vs. Handwritten, Carbon Paper, or a trip to the printer
- Templates vs. Printshop Ordered Pre-Printed forms
- Publishing software vs. hiring to create ads and wait days for a print job
- Calculator apps on your SmartPhone or Desktop vs. Adding Machines
- Accounting Software vs. Hand written spreadsheets
- Microwave vs a Thermos lunchbox of leftovers
- Cable/Internet TV vs. 3 Channels, Rabbit ears and tinfoil
- Costco and Sams vs ???
So, when I try to help your business via modern technology, it’s because I am trying to work for you in the most efficient manner possible. Not because I want you to feel incompetent in any way, shape, or form.
I just want you to feel cool in how you perform your daily operations – because it truly is the best way to achieve your goals. Like the Jetsons!