He who refuses to learn deserves extinction.” — Rabbi Hillel
The conversation with those not engaged in Social Media is often limited to their perceptions… I’ve tried to condense the most common misperceptions through these comparisons.
- Traditional Marketing tells us how we should feel about product.
Social Media Marketing tells others how we really do feel about product.
- Traditional Marketing interrupts our leisure time by forcing product messages upon us.
Social Media Marketing leads us to company pages we can invite into our streams to browse at our leisure.
- Traditional Marketing deals with the familiar to spread the word generically.
Social Media Marketing looks for the unfamiliar to spread the word virally.
- Traditional Marketing spreads a message to the masses in hopes of attracting a few loyal followers.
Social Media Marketing spreads a message to a few loyal followers to attract the masses.
- Traditional Marketing tells consumers what they may want.
Social Media Marketing gives access to what we do want.
- Traditional Marketing messages have no direct accountability.
Social Media Marketing publicizes accountability through viral messaging.
- Traditional Marketing uses long-term strategies developed through a fixed schedule of exposure.
Social Media Marketing follows direct emotion, passion, and curiosities of the moment.
- Traditional Marketing messaging is for short-term profit.
Social Media Marketing messaging is for long-term connection.
- Traditional Marketing asks questions and uses research to determine reaction.
Social Media Marketing answers questions and uses instinct to create reaction.
- Traditional Marketing creates artificial messaging based on external research.
Social Media Marketing spreads authentic messaging from internal reaction.
- Traditional Marketing helps products become successful regardless of quality.
Social Media Marketing helps quality products get discovered and expose poor products.
- Traditional Marketing messaging can be stagnant or ineffective by the time they surface.
Social Media Marketing messaging is ever evolving and always present.
- Traditional Marketing follows a predetermined path on a predetermined schedule.
Social Media Marketing explores a multitude of highways on an ongoing basis.
- Traditional Marketing controls response to product via marketing professionals and accountants.
Social Media Marketing controls product response via actual consumer word of mouth.